Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Masters Tournament Party

Masters Tournament Party

The Masters Tournament will be starting soon - April 7 to be exact.  Five years ago, if someone said this to me, I would have thought, “And you think I care, why?”  Funny how things change with marriage.  I found losing control of the remote meant I had to either learn to like all sorts of sports or watch DVDs on my computer…low and behold, golf has become a sport I enjoy!  I remember the first time I found myself thinking, “I wonder if there is a golf tournament on this weekend?” and actually WANTED the answer to be “yes.”  That’s when I realized either my interests had broadened or the prospect of a weekend of golf sounded better than football, hockey or some other sport. J  I’ve determined it’s actually the former!  Shock of all shocks, I actually like watching golf! 

Last year, we made golf-themed appetizers for the final day of the tournament…it was fun and actually worked!  Our favorite golfer, Phil Mickelson, won his second green jacket!  Needless to say, we will be honoring the Masters again this year in an attempt to help Phil do well (the sports superstitions have also become an integral part of my life).  We haven’t decided on this year’s menu, but I thought I would share last year’s dishes with you.

The first dish was "Golf Balls on the Green."  We made lamb meatballs, put them over basil pesto and grated fresh parmesan cheese on top.

The second dish was "Buckets of Balls."  For this, we made sushi rice.  Then we wrapped discs of rice with nori, leaving plenty of room at the top.  We filled the "buckets" with salmon roe.  YUM!!!!  I absolutely adore salmon roe!  The pop of saltiness is positively divine!!!

The final dish was "A Hole in one."  We made a hot crab dip (recipe follows).  We spread the crab dip on baguette slices.  We topped it with chopped chives, a slice of black olive (the "hole") and a flag.  We made the flags using paper glued to a toothpick. 

We had a great time thinking up dishes with a golf theme!  This year, I definitely want to make something involving peaches, since the Masters is in Georgia.  I will post pictures after the event…but let me know what you might do to celebrate the tournament!  I’d love to hear your ideas!

Here’s the Hot Crab Dip recipe, as promised:

1 Pound crab meat (shhh…but I use canned!)
1 Cup Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
¾ Cup mayonnaise
¼ Cup parmesan cheese, grated
2 Cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Teaspoon Frank’s RedHot sauce (or more to taste)
½ Teaspoon dry mustard
Salt and pepper

Mix all the ingredients together.  Bake at 325 degrees for 30 – 40 minutes.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment