Monday, April 18, 2011

Devilish Eggs


Devilish Eggs
It’s that time of year!  The hard boiled eggs pile up in anticipation of some festive coloring.  My body seems to be perfectly in tune with the season because a deviled egg craving hit this weekend…and I listened to that craving.  I like big flavor in a deviled egg.  In my opinion, a great deviled egg has bold flavors that work with the richness of the yolk to make something almost decadent.  The ho-hum flavor of most potluck deviled eggs just doesn’t work for me.  As my husband put it, when he eats most deviled eggs, one is enough.  These flavor-packed deviled eggs have him reaching for more.  Give them a try – and feel free to adapt so they tickle your own taste buds!

Ingredients
6 Eggs
¼ Cup mayonnaise (I like Hellman’s Light mayo – less fat, but still really thick and creamy)
1 Tablespoon Dijon
1 Tablespoon prepared horseradish, drained after measuring
¼ Cup cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and Pepper
1 scallion, light and dark green parts
Paprika

Step 1
If your eggs aren’t already hard boiled, we need to get them there!  It seems everyone has their own method for hard boiling the perfect egg.  This is what I did and the yolks were all a beautiful yellow – no green rings.  But use your own tried and true method if you rather!  I put the six eggs in a pot and covered them with cold water until the water was about an inch over the eggs.  I put the pot over medium heat and brought it to a simmer.  Then I covered the pot and took it off the heat.  I let them sit for 9 minutes.  Then I drained the water and rinsed them with cold water.  When they were cool, they were ready to peel.  I tapped them my counted until the shell was cracked all around the egg and then peeled it.  It should come off rather easily.  Now they are ready to be deviled!


Step 2
Slice your hard boiled eggs in half.  Pop the yolks into a bowl.  Add the Dijon, horseradish, cheddar, salt and pepper.  You may want to add the horseradish and Dijon 1 teaspoon at a time.  As I mentioned, we like BIG flavor in our deviled eggs…your taste buds may beg to differ.  So start less and work your way to your perfect filling flavor!  Mix the ingredients together until it is a smooth, creamy mixture.


Step 3
Time to fill those little empty vessels!  They are begging for that rich, tangy mixture and it’s time to acquiesce to their request.  I piped the filling in with a star tip.  You could also put the filling in a zipper bag and cut a hole in the end for easy piping.  Or you can just spoon the filling into the egg.  It doesn’t matter how it gets there…it just needs to get there!


Step 4
Dust the filled eggs with paprika.  What can I say…it’s classic on deviled eggs.  Chop a scallion and scatter the light green and dark green parts on the eggs (the white of a scallion will overpower the flavors of the egg).


Enjoy!  Have fun with your deviled eggs.  Put your own favorite ingredients in the filling...there are no rules.  Make your own devilish variety!

1 comment:

  1. They sound wonderful but think I would have to change the horseradish to something different. But they do look and sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete