Monday, August 8, 2011

Caprese Turkey Burgers

Caprese Turkey Burgers


Tis the season for fresh tomatoes and basil…so I made me some Caprese Turkey Burgers!  I absolutely love the flavors in a Caprese Salad…the fresh juicy tomato, the slightly salty and oh so delicious fresh mozzarella, the bright taste of the basil and the sweet and tangy from balsamic vinegar make the perfect summer pairing!  I decided to take this perfect little salad and use it as a burger topping.  As per my usual, I used ground turkey, but this could certainly be made with ground beef or chicken and be equally delicious.  Here is what I did:

Ingredients

1 Pound ground turkey
2 Teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper

½ Cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tomato, sliced
Fresh mozzarella, sliced
Fresh basil
Buns

Step 1

I began by making a balsamic reduction, so I could drizzle it over my burgers after I assembled them.  I wanted to reduce the balsamic vinegar so that it would deepen the flavor while thickening it so it would stick beautifully to the burger.  I used ½ cup of balsamic vinegar, but feel free to use more and refrigerate the leftovers!  It’s great drizzled on all sorts of things – I have even drizzled it over roasted beets…YUM!  Anyway, back to the reduction.  Heat your balsamic vinegar over medium heat and let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes.  You will want to stir it occasionally to make sure it doesn’t burn.  It’s ready when it just begins to cling to a spoon when you pull it out of the reduction.  Then set it aside for later.

Step 2

Before we go to the burger making, we need to prep the ingredients.  Slice your mozzarella and tomato (approximately ¼ inch thick for each).  If your basil needs to be washed, go ahead and do that and then dry your leaves.

Step 3

We’re ready for the burgers!  Combine the ground turkey, Italian seasoning, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.  Mix the meat until it is just combined…over mixing will just result in tough burgers.  Form the meat into equal patties.  I formed them into six patties, but four would make lovely quarter-pound burgers.

Step 4

I cooked the burgers in a little olive oil in a sauté pan, but if you have a grill pan, please use it (and I will be jealous, but happy)!  That would be perfect for these summery burgers.  I cooked them over medium-high heat for five minutes on each side.

Step 5

It’s time to assemble the burgers!  Place your burger on the bottom half of the bun.  Put a slice of tomato and then a slice of mozzarella on top.  Then place a couple of fresh basil leaves on top.  Finally, drizzle some of your balsamic reduction over the sandwich and then top with the other half of the bun.

Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment