Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

Peanut Butter Cup Cookies


'Tis the season for cookies! Christmas is almost here and I have been baking, baking, baking! I love spending this month making cookies...not only because I love eating them, but because I love the experience of baking. Baking is a wonderful way to spend time with loved ones. This year I was able to bake with my husband, my mom, one of my sisters, my grandmother, my aunts and cousins and my cousins' children! What fun! The memories will last a lifetime! I absolutely love baking family recipes...cookies I grew up making...and sharing these recipes and experiences with my family's next generation. Watching the little ones decorate Great Grandma's sugar cookie cuts-out and our family's Italian sugar cookies just makes me feel that special holiday glow. Passing these recipes and experiences down through the family...I can't think of a better way to share our heritage.

These peanut butter cup cookies are definitely a family favorite! I have helped make them every Christmas since I was tall enough to reach the table. They have become my husband's "must have" Christmas cookie and we love to make them together. They are also super simple! Here is what you need:
 

Ingredients
1 3/4 Cup flour
1/2 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1/2 Cup granulated sugar
1/2 Cup shortening
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1 Egg
1/2 Cup peanut butter
2 Tablespoons milk
1 Teaspoon vanilla
40 or so peanut butter cups, unwrapped
 

Step 1


The first step is to unwrap your peanut butter cups. Once the cookies are out of the oven, you will need to QUICKLY place the cups in the hot cookie, so I like to get ready before I do anything else by unwrapping them. I also like to eat one...or two...or three...
 

Step 2


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Then cream the sugars, peanut butter and shortening until fluffy (approximately 3 to 5 minutes). 


Then add the rest of the ingredients and mix until just combined. 


The dough will be fairly crumbly but should stick together when pressed.


 

Step 3


Fill mini muffin tins 2/3 the way up each cup, pressing the dough to make it smooth and to evenly fill the cup. I get about 40 cookies from this recipe. Then bake for 10 - 12 minutes, until slightly browned.
 

Step 4


As soon as you take the cookies out of the oven, press a peanut butter cup in the center of each one until the top of the cup is level with the top of the cookie. Then refrigerate the cookies in the pan (if you are impatient like me...if you aren't, just let them cool completely on the counter :-)) for about 20 minutes. Then use a paring knife to loosen the cups and pop them out of the tin.


 
Enjoy while the peanut butter cup is still melted...the gooey chocolate and peanut butter is soooo good!  Leave some for Santa and I guarantee you won't receive coal!

No comments:

Post a Comment