Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Birthday Sweets and Treats

Double Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies

I love birthdays.  Period.  I love planning, months ahead of time, what I am going to give to someone for their birthday.  I love begging people to tell me where they will choose to spend their birthday dinner even though most of the time they have not even thought about it yet.  I also love the sweets that are involved in a birthday celebration!  It is so fun to see what sweet treat a person selects to share (or eat on their own – I don’t judge!) in honor of their special day.  My husband, on the other hand, is not so into birthdays.  I begged and pleaded with him to tell me where he might like to dine for his birthday (granted, I did start about two months prior to his birthday…but what can I say?  I’m enthusiastic! J).  I pestered him over and over to tell me what sweet treat he might like to take to work to share for his birthday.  He would tell me that he didn’t care; I could make whatever I wanted.  So I did.  I made Ghirardelli’s Macadamia White Chip Cookies, but altered them slightly with a couple changes.  The most significant is that I turned them into Double Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies.

Before the recipe though, I want to show you a gift my husband received from a colleague.  I had seen them on various food shows and was so excited to see one in person!  It really does taste like a fortune cookie too!  It was from Cookie HQ.  Check out their website to see all the large fortune cookie varieties! 


(Disclaimer:  I am in no way affiliated with Cookie HQ.  No one at the company even knows that I exist.)



Ingredients
1 Cup butter, softened
1 ½ Cups granulated sugar
1 Cup brown sugar
2 Eggs
1 ½ Teaspoons vanilla extract
3 Cups flour
½ Teaspoon baking soda
1 Teaspoon salt
2 Cups (1 bag) white chips
1 Cup bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
1 ½ Cups Macadamia nuts, chopped (I used half salted and half unsalted)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cream the butter and sugars until fluffy (approximately 3 minutes).  Then add the vanilla and the eggs, one at a time.  Beat the mixture well so that everything is completely combined before we add the flour.  When it’s mixed thoroughly, add the flour, baking soda and salt and mix until it is just combined.  Then stir in both types of chips and the macadamia nuts.  Drop the cookie dough by the teaspoon full onto ungreased cookie sheets (I lined them with parchment paper because it makes cookie removal MUCH easier!).  Bake the cookies for 10 – 12 minutes.  When I removed the tray from the oven, I kept the cookies on the sheet for three minutes because once they were slightly cooled and set, they were much easier to keep intact when removed from the sheet.  Cool them on a wire rack…but do be sure to enjoy at LEAST one while warm…ooey gooey chocolate chips are just the best!



Enjoy!

Gastronome's Note:  Next time I make these, I think I am going to try toasting the Macadamia Nuts to get even more flavor.  Try it and tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment