Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Feliz Cinco de Mayo!

Chipotle Turkey Chili with Chipotle Cornbread


Hola mis amigos!  It’s almost Cinco de Mayo!  In honor of this south of the border holiday, I thought I would share this Chipotle Chili recipe with you.  There’s also a bonus quick and easy recipe for Chipotle Cornbread…just because I thought ya’ll might REALLY want to celebrate. J  I made the chili to use some leftovers from the turkey breast recipe I posted last week and it turned out fantastico!  Seriously, Tim (my husband) and I were blown away by the flavors in this simple and HEALTHY chili!

I find chili to be more of a method than an exact recipe.  So this time around, I’m going to post the directions first and the ingredient list (with my measurements) second.  Finally, I’ll post the directions for the quick and easy Chipotle Cornbread. 

Step 1
Dice some onion and chop some garlic and chipotle peppers in adobo.  At this point, I also cubed my turkey breast.  Feel free to use leftover beef or chicken instead if that’s what you have in your fridge.  If you don’t have any leftover meat sitting around that you want to use, ground turkey, chicken or beef would work just fine!

Step 2
Heat a medium-sized pot over medium high heat.  Add a couple tablespoons of olive oil.  When it’s hot, add your onions.  Cook them until softened (about 3-5 minutes) and then add the garlic and chipotle peppers.  Stir them together and let the mixture cook for another minute.  Then add the meat.  Since my meat was already cooked, I just stirred them together and let them heat while I went to the next step.  If using ground meat, you will want to brown it before proceeding.

Step 3
Drain and rinse a can of kidney beans and add those to the pot.  Then hand crush a can of stewed tomatoes (mine had onions, celery and green peppers in the can as well) and add those to the mixture.  Combine the ingredients.

Step 4
Add chili powder, some of the adobo sauce from the can, chicken (or beef if using beef) stock, oregano and...drumroll please…TEQUILA!  Yes, you read that correctly!  I tasted it after adding the other ingredients and thought it needed some depth.  I had no beer on hand, so I reached for the only Mexican alcohol I had which was tequila.  It made all the difference!  Just try it…I don’t think you will be disappointed!  Finally, add some salt to taste and let the chili simmer, covered, for at least 20 minutes.

Step 5
Serve with sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese on top.

Ingredients
3 Cups turkey, cubed
1 Onion, diced
2 Cloves garlic, chopped
2 Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
1 Tablespoon adobo sauce (from the can)
1-14 Ounce can stewed tomatoes
1-14 Ounce can kidney beans
2 Teaspoons chili powder
½ Teaspoon oregano
2 Cups chicken stock
2 Tablespoons tequila
Salt
Sour cream
Shredded cheddar cheese

Gastronome's Note:  Chili can be a rather personal thing.  If you like it to be more of a soup, add more stock.  If you like it thick, add less stock (I know, common sense...just felt I had to say it! :-)).  Add spices to your own taste.  Make it the way you like it!


Chipotle Cornbread

To use leftover chipotle peppers from the chili, I added them to some cornbread.  I just used a Jiffy corn muffin mix and made it to the package specifications.  To the batter, I added 2 chopped chipotle peppers, a handful of frozen corn kernels (for texture) and about a half cup of shredded cheddar cheese.  I then spread it in a square, greased baking dish and bake it according to the package directions!  It was perfect served along side the chili!

No comments:

Post a Comment